Monday, September 20, 2010

Mahjong for the weekend

I sat down to play a full game (and half) of mahjong over the weekend. It was the first time I played in about 10 years.

I love the game. But I am particular about how the game is played, and with whom I sit down with.

I do not like players who are:
- overly noisy (slam cards, yell and yelp when the winning tile shows up).
- overly whiny when experiencing a losing streak.
- not happy whether winning or losing.
- try too hard to build a strong hand.
- impatient if anybody needed to take a second to consider a move.

You get my drift.

I am very "zen" in my game style, if I am at a table with fairly good skills. I let the cards just come (or not). I particularly enjoy a good game at a table with superior game-masters.

For many years, I had the privilege to play with some of the most gracious and elegant mahjong players; they were impeccable in their game etiquette. I like to think that some of their behaviour rubbed off on me.

So, for the first time in a long time, I played the game again with new found friends and I found I liked their style.

They said they enjoyed having me, and I was happy to hear that.

When they asked if they could get me again when they needed a fourth, I said "Yes!"

When they asked if they could get me again when they needed a third, I said "No!"

Like I said, I love this game too much to have to play it in any slap-dash fashion. Heh,..

4 comments:

tuti said...

great that you know how to play.
me know nuts about mahjong. i hear it's good for the brain!

sinlady said...

tuti - with the exception of the angmoh rubbish game they call American mahjong/British mahjong, i could play almost any of the versions of the game at one time! haha

wildgoose said...

That's a lot of etiquette to learn! Good that you found good kakis. :)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - actually, it boils down to good manners. the list makes it sound like rules!