Monday, October 06, 2008

These bad times

Every year around this time, the girlfriend comes through Singapore from Los Angeles for a day's layover before continuing to Kolkata.

Every year, I'd meet up with her for a long lunch, catch up on news of my friends back stateside, snap some quickie pictures of her and me, do some impulse shopping, and I'd see her off at the airport. Later in the evening, I'd email the pictures to the friends with a short message, saying how I'd really wished they'd been here too. And every time, I'd hear from them within a couple of days, all thrilled and excited with the news and pictures.

Not this time. It's been several days now, and no one has written back yet.

I had asked after them; specifically, I had asked how badly hit are they in this financial meltdown. The girlfriend said everyone is reeling from the financial fall-out, and fearing for the worst. It has to be bad because they have fully retired from employment for between 5 to 10 years. They would have sizeable amounts of their money in managed funds.

Their silence now screams calamity to me.

I feel so so bad, and worse that there is no help I can offer. Worst of all, I don't know when things will start to look up and feel alright again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear. that feeling isn't going to be good. especially if there is no income from another stream besides managed funds. that's one of the worst hit portfolios. some of the friends are positively screaming about it right now.

sinlady said...

imp - i am fearing the worst since they've been so quiet.

Anonymous said...

oh dear....so hard hit...sigh! i just had a word too with my financial guy! nothing too serious but still i want to blame somebody!

Anonymous said...

yes, this financial meltdown is affecting everyone. first US, now increasingly Europe. it will eventually come to Asia like it or not. coming from the banking sector, i fear for my job too, esp when no bank seems to be safe from this turmoil. i feel very sorry for those retirees who were misinformed on those structured products, it is very unethical of them. cash is king now, until the foreign exchange rates say otherwise!

sinlady said...

i suspect my friends are hit hard, and so suddenly that they had no time to siam. i'd be in same situation if i stayed there.

suziewong - i know the feeling.

edpjunkie - it's already in aisa. i have friends coming home from hk and china already.

wildgoose said...

This malaise shows no signs of slowing down for now. I guess you just have to sit and wait for a response...

edp junkie - my fren in the same bank as you seems happily busy. Maybe it's not so bad? I always think though, that rewarding sales people purely on sales is a mistake, but I guess CEOs don't care when it lines their pockets with bonuses.

sinlady said...

wildgoose - i shudder to think how much worse before stabilizing and turnaround.

Anonymous said...

I jus resigned from my job without a job...at this time...haha bad timing.

sinlady said...

dancingbunny - hmm, maybe not a bad thing if u can afford it.