Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Noise and more noise

Chinese restaurants are noisy. But there is noise, and there is noise.

I put up with boisterous adults celebrating too enthusiastically because I have to. If I must, I put up with wait-staff who clang and bang the crockery around when clearing tables.

But I finally had it with children running all over the place screeching and shrieking in their horse-play.

I stomped up to the offending child ring-leader and yelled at him to cease and desist. The helpless maids minding the unmindful children were embarrassed. The adults who own the noise-monsters looked up with a what's-your-problem-with-our-cute-playful-children expression, but did nothing more. I glared at them with poison darts in my eyes and venom in my heart.

But, the noise assault dropped immediately to a more acceptable level.

I know I will not hesitate to act exactly the same way the next time. And the next time.

8 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i totally understand the frustration with noisy kids and nonchalent parents.

i fear for the day that my little one becomes a vocal monster! hopefully i can control him then.

Anonymous said...

YAYYY! well. i do that too. heheheheh.

there is a certain amount of tolerance from my table. till a certain noise level, or proximity.

i usually go over to the parents' table and lurk around and maybe, for a lark, do exactly what the kids did to me. HEEEEEEE.

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - it's the nonchalance that i can't stand. i can't fault parents if they are trying to quieten the child.

imp - i think any way we can make the kid(s) quieten down is acceptable, so long as we don't physically throttle said monsters :)

wildgoose said...

haha... I do wish I can give them a shake sometimes. Frnakly, I can't imagine growing old here in 20 years time when these monsters are grown. Loads of parents out there don't care how their kids are disturbing others. Just check out the National Library on Saturdays. *eek!*

sinlady said...

wildgoose - children are children in any generation, and most grow up to become human beings. it's the inconsiderate parents i really have a problem with.

Anonymous said...

i don't have kids but i can relate it to dogs..everything some strangers go near animal lovers league where ah boy is, the same dogs will bark so incessantly and annoyingly. My Ah Boy just minds his own business..hee, muaks!

Anonymous said...

When I show my irritation, some pp will chide me by saying that I hv no heart coz I hv no kids.

My Beijing helper used to say of these inconsiderate parents that their parenting style is equivalent to "fang yang" (in Mandarin), that is, like letting the goats go wild/freely. How true!

sinlady said...

suziewong - the only time dog barks get on my nerves are when they bark out of boredom. the ones at animal league bark when there is something happening, and i am so okay with that.

vb - your helper's chinese expression about fang yang is absolutely spot on.