Friday, August 01, 2008

July

was the month


- I got re-acquainted with a very special woman, someone I knew as a colleague for a short while some 25 years ago. We did not know much of each other outside of work; then we left the organisation at about the same time. Shortly thereafter, I left for the US and she for Sydney. For no particular reason, we stayed in touch first by snail mail, then by email, through the years.

- that, on a whim, I decided I should look her up while I was in Sydney. It turned out to be one of those serendipitous decisions. I felt like I had reunited with a very good friend who has been away for much too long. I believe she feels the same.

- I emailed my friends in the ulus with my favourite picture of myself. They all replied, dutifully telling me how wonderful I look and updated me about themselves. Now that we are all caught up with the news, we can all be quiet until, oh, around Christmas.

- our other kitchen closed until further notice, so in desperation to find a replacement, I tried a zhi char place recommended by one of this country's most respected food reviewers. I came away determined never to believe that has-been journalist-whore of the puerile palate again.

- I am shaken to know that a dancer friend sustained a medial meniscus tear in her left knee while attempting the rock-and-roll with her husband. Surgery is the only course of treatment, followed by a 3-month period of rehabilitation. I am now even more wary of my dance auntie partners in high heels.

- that felt like it was a very short month.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...we can all be quiet until, oh, around Christmas."


Hahahhaa. This cracked me up!

sinlady said...

jmalkavian - it is like that mah.

Suzie Wong said...

i can only read on with envy!

wildgoose said...

I didn't know dancing is so dangerous!

sinlady said...

suziewong - :)

wildgoose - well, accidents happen.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

sounds like july was the month to catch up with long lost friends..

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - it was.