Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Bellydance Expo 2008, Sydney

The highlight of my Sydney trip this time is the Bellydance Expo 2008.

It was a full day of performances and workshops. In the short breaks between showtime and jamming, I was busy being tempted at the booths offering bellydance costumes, accessories, henna tattooing, coffee cup readings.

Dozens of lovely ladies and one fun-loving man gave their best performance to an appreciative audience of fans, friends and family - they were just awesome in their passion and love of the music and dance. Styles ranged from folkloric to cabaret to tribal and fusion - the diversity makes for an unforgettable show of creativity and originality.

The darling of the day has to be 10 year old Janelle (below) with her wings of Isis dance. She has incredible control and maturity of any child dancer I have seen in a long time.

I have to mention a very special lady I met: Ileana was dancing to a sound track that I love, but the CD was not available at the expo. I am extremely touched by her generosity and kindness when she insisted that I take her copy instead. I gratefully accepted, and hope that our paths will cross again soon.

Maybe at the Farha Tour in Sydney in early November?

6 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

bellydance got such expo?? wow first time i heard of this.

is that a picture of janelle? looks like a full grown woman to me!

Anonymous said...

sounds like one super great trip!

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - seems australia in general, and sydney in particular, has plenty bellydance events throughout the year - expo, concerts, haflas, visiting celebrity-teachers, etc. what's surprising is how well organised and supported they are. janelle is a great child dancer :)

imp - it is !

wildgoose said...

Sounds better than going to a middle eastern restaurant for 15 min of dance. =P

sinlady said...

wildgoose immeasurably better !

Suzie Wong said...

wow nice pictures....