Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Painful knees and comfort shoes

Years of pounding on the studio floor doing aerobics and dance have taken its toll on my poor knees which had been screaming pain for months now.

I resisted comfort shoes for years because I always saw them as orthopaedic shoes - clunky ugly footwear in basic browns, blacks, whites and beiges for the crippled. (And I am not ready to concede defeat yet!) But I finally decided I have to stop wearing sexy strappy high-heeled sandals unnecessarily, and go for something sensible when there is no need for heels. Before my knees give out on me completely out of protest.

But comfort shoes that look half way decent are really and truly difficult to find. I got really upset and annoyed at myself for making the poor staff working the shoe department at Taka bring out just about the entire inventory.

By the 10th pair that I rejected after trying, I started to think they must think me a bored bitch! By the 15th pair, I was convinced they must think me a sadistic bored bitch! I kept apologising, I kept telling myself the next pair would be IT. But no, the hunt went on.

I finally managed to find a pair of lace-ups and a pair of ballet flats that I actually really liked. Phew! I would hate to have left the store with nothing! After all their effort, and all my time!

I could not thank the staff enough for their patience with me and helping me with my selection.

I know it is their job, but it is really a physically demanding job - having to retrieve shoes from storeroom, having to squat down to place the shoes at your feet, having to bend to pick up the shoes, then packing the rejects and starting over with the next pairs. Having to do this over and over umpteen times in the course of their work day.

And I wonder how long before the nature of their work take its toll on their knees...

8 comments:

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

15 pairs! wow u are tiring them out.

flats are in now. at least thats how i console myself cos shanster hid all my heels

imp said...

must wear flats to protect your knees lah. pay a little more? the slightly more expensive pretty flats are very comfortable.

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - flats ARE in :) and u not wearing heels is a temporary situation.

imp - there is the matter of getting around the idea of HAVING to wear flats, u know? so ego crushing.

any other brand to recommend? for cushion and support i am a fan of ecco's.

wildgoose said...

How about Camper (from Isetan and VivoCity)? I think their shoes are cute. and I got my previous pair of ballet flats from Pazzion but they don't always have a lot of choices for flats.

Actually, I am not found of heels (so painful!) except that like you said, comfort shoes tend to be ugly. :p

sinlady said...

wildgoose - will look into them :)

Suzie Wong said...

sigh! me too have ditched my 5inches platforms for slightly shorter heels for shows. i so needed the extra height. I just have to make it up for more talents now! :(

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i like my birkenstocks leh.

tho my german friend says only obasans (read: aunties) wear them

sinlady said...

suziewong - so ego crushing! now got to work so much harder using talent haha

edpjunkie - i like birkies on other people. my feel too skinny and wrinkled to look good! *sob*