Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Impression of Xiamen

Remember how I waxed lyrical about my recent trips to China? about the charm of X'ian? the cultural depth of Chengdu? Well, my rosy view of Chinese cities was abruptly and rudely changed with my visit to Xiamen.

The city has the feel of a rough border town. It has embraced the worst of two sets of value systems where communist efficiency is used to feed capitalist avarice.

Highrise and highways dominate the city. Buildings are architecturally void of aesthetics - a fact further emphasised by garish neon-lit signs when night falls.

Entertainment takes the form of hard boozing and hard whoring in custom built KTVs that boast hundreds of private rooms and thousands of hostesses.

For the tourist looking for nostalgia and natural scenic beauty in Xiamen, the time has past. For the tourist looking for modern gentility that accompanies economic success, the time has not yet come.

5 comments:

wildgoose said...

I was actually a little surprised when i heard you're going Xiamen. My sis-in-law went there just for the food. Trust it has been good? :)

sinlady said...

wg - chey - now then u tell me. food good enough, but not reason enough to go leh

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

hmm.. sounds like a city in transition. at least now we know.

wildgoose said...

I don't remember you said you're going to xiamen... :p me got bad memory.

sinlady said...

edpjunkie - for the foreseeable future at least.

wildgoose - just kidding lah...