Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The ang pow issue

Warning: scolding people ahead. Quit reading now if you think it is too early in the year for cross words.

On the first day of the Chinese New Year, the man and I readily handed out ang pows to the community of service providers who work in our condo year round. Namely the security guards, the grounds keeper, the supervisor of the cleaning crew, and especially the cleaners who take care of the floor we are on.

In the days that followed, faces we have never seen before started to show up, making sure that we notice them as we enter or leave the building. We decided that they probably do work in the condo too, so we also readily handed out ang pows to them.

Then last evening, our newspaper delivery service representative showed up to collect the monthly newspaper subscription. He mumbled something about ang pow as I handed him the money. I could not believe what I thought I heard, so I asked in a decidedly stern tone of voice, "What?"

He boldly repeated his demand, "Chinese New Year. No ang pow?"

I bristled and replied crossly "No!" And closed the door in his face.

I am not even sure he delivers the papers in the morning! And I certainly was not about to reward his extortionist strategy to get goodwill money.

Then I remembered the one time when this same man claimed to not have change when I handed him all ten dollar notes and he ended up pocketing the difference. These days I hand him exact amounts. What a detestable person!

I have a mind to lodge a complaint with the circulation department of the Straits Times.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a rude person. wah lau.

Anonymous said...

i mean your newspaper man.

(just in case u thought i meant u! :))

Suzie Wong said...

Ya, I saw the car washer making his rounds last nite at the apartment. I stopped him from washing my car and changed to the one in the office bcos many mornings i find my car not washed. Always blame on me coming back late. When i threaten to stop he'd say he will wash in the morning if i come home late, but still never did. So last nite saw him in lift and had the cheek to tell us he go up to people's house to collect hong pao. Of cos he was only too happy to bump into me in the lift. Before he could wish us, friend quickly brushed him off by saying "I also going round to collect, how much you collected"..hahah

sinlady said...

imp - i was rude too lah. and still unrepentant about it :)

suziewong - isn't it just too much when pple actually DEMAND ang pow?

wildgoose said...

I totally agree about ppl demanding angpow! I refuse to meet their demands. Reminds me of the time a paper seller refused to give me back my 10 cents change, saying I don't need it. It's not for him to decide.

Aelgtoer said...

Lol i think that idiot deserved it and more. Goodness what cheek...

sinlady said...

wg - i still cannot believe got so many pple actually hustle for ang pows!

aelgtoer - haha ya lor. and i am still unrepentant. so bad hor.

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

amazing. maybe these people 'got wind' that there's a generous couple giving out angpows!

sinlady said...

edjp - well, now they hear differently :)