Sunday, February 25, 2007

Before PCs

This has been a week of reunion with old friends, re-hashing old stories, re-affirming long-standing friendship.

At some point, our do-you-remember-when conversation turned to typewriters (yes, typewriters, not PCs and microsoft WORD). This is the tool of trade that defines our generation.

Who remembers (or even knows anything of) that marvel of a typewriter called the Selectric from Big Blue? If you admit to having worked with one, you are of the same vintage as me. Remember when your position in the office pecking order was defined by the number of different typeballs you owned?

In my mind's eye I can still see: my IBM Selectric II was olive green and had dual pitch (10 and 12 characters to the inch). The fonts I used the most was Elite (12-pitch) and Pica (10-pitch). I would switch to Courier (10 and 12) when I wanted a different look.

Back then, most of us were trained to type by touch (as opposed to hunt-and-peck). I am particularly proud that at my fighting best, I typed comfortably at a demonstration typing speed of 90 words per minute (wpm) with 98% accuracy. 60 wpm with 90% accuracy was considered the minimum employable proficiency speed.

This is all historical trivia. It is sentimental trivia for me and it feels good to be talking about it with people who lived it...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

omigosh. i've no idea what typeballs are even!!!!!!! woots!

wildgoose said...

I didn't even know different ways of typing got names one. And ya, what's a typeball? :P

sinlady said...

It is gratifying to know you two sweet young things read this post :)

Anonymous said...

Though I am not exactly 'sping chicken' but honestly, I hv no dea!!!!! But typewriters and Singer sewing machine (the one where u rotate the thing with yr right hand and step on the pedal) were my childhood fascination as in, can see but cannot touch around the house. My uncle is an expert with the abacus and my intetion is to inherit it when he conks off.....sentimental value mah....used to see him using it when I was a child.

sinlady said...

Oh, I love the Singer sewing machine with thread-pedal. The electric ones terrify me. I can teach you the abacus :)