Friday, July 30, 2010

Making Bread

I already bake my own baguette and hard crusted dinner roll. I was interested to learn about other varieties of bread. There are many courses available in cooking/baking schools, but most of them are heavy on time and fee. The friends tell me that baking courses do come up in the community clubs, and they are right.

I signed up for the first available one that was held at a cc near me. It was the first of a two-stage course, each consisting of 4 one-afternoon a-week classes.

I love everything about the course!
I love the instructor. She is of the same mold of teachers I encountered in my school years. Dedicated, sincere, knows her stuff, never loses control of the class.

I love the course mates. Some are experienced bakers who wanted to know more about this particular category of food. Others are novices for whom everything about cooking/baking is thick mystery and unfathomable magic.

I love listening to everyone's stories of goof-ups and victories in their attempts to bake their favourite bread.

For me, I picked up on the one critical step that has been missing from my bread making all this while - the technique of folding/kneading the dough for surface tension so that the bread will hold it's shape!

Sadly I will not be able to do Stage 2 of the bread course because of schedule conflict, but I will make myself free to sign up for their cake course in November. Heh!

5 comments:

tuti said...

saw the bread you baked. lovely!
you must attend the second half of the course this november!

dancingbunny said...

so nice!
where is the place?
Is it at eng hon mansion?

sinlady said...

tuti - thanks! i will be in the november cake course. the stage 2 bread course is in sept which is travel time for me.

bunny - nice hor? it's at the ulu pandan cc.

on the day we made pumpkin bread which turned out really beautiful, i did not bring my camera!

wildgoose said...

Learning is great fun when everyone is enthusiastic to learn and is generous with sharing. Glad u enjoyed yourself. :)

sinlady said...

wildgoose - yes and i really did :)