Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On widowhood

The stall that I frequent several times a week for my tall glass of freshly squeezed sugar cane juice was shuttered. On a day that it would normally be open. The neighour food stall operator told me that the husband passed away suddenly the night before.

Long forgotten snippets of conversations with friends pertaining to widowhood came to my mind. Among them:

he: If you die before me, I'd never remarry.
she: Oh please, you can't look after yourself. If some woman loves you enough to want to look after you, you must marry her.

she: You must make enough money so that I don't have to marry another man to raise your children.

she: I could not possible think to go out with anybody after Cliff was gone. We were both virgins when we married. We only knew each other our entire lives. Can you imagine me dating again? At some point, I'd have to say to him, "You want me to do WHAT?"

he: I married almost immediately after my wife died. I could not stand the loneliness.

she: Why would I marry again? I am finally able to live just for myself. Do all the things I have always wanted to do.

I relate to every one of the varied sentiments. One's life has to go on. One copes in whatever way that one can.

I feel for the sugar cane woman's bereavement. But I know she will be fine after a period of grieving her loss. Because life does go on.

5 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

aiyo! don't dicuss such things leh! choy....lol

sinlady said...

suziewong - i know it can be taboo for a lot of people. but i really just wanted to mention and remember certain special people :)

eatdrinkplayjunkie said...

i believe when a couple who are really close and of a certain age, one would not live for very long when the other passes away.

sounds morbid but somehow i think its kinda "romantic" in a sad way.

brings a new meaning to the saying 'i can't live without you'

Suzie Wong said...

.....adding to what EDJP or "til death do us apart"..sob!

sinlady said...

edpj - i have known quite a few of those too.

suziewong - okok, no need get carried away lol