Thursday, November 16, 2006

HOR FUN, ANYONE?



Beef Hor Fun. It brings back fond memories: after-school lunches, family dinners, dating days, quick pick-me-up on rushed days.

The dish is so obvious. Slices of beef fried with Hor Fun in a robust gravy of stock and slightly scrambled egg for added smoothness.

So when a childhood friend visited from abroad, Beef Hor Fun was the immediate choice for home dinner. She was delighted; she had not had Beef Hor Fun since whenever.

We settled to a long night of girl-chat - husband, children, old friends, new friends, fashion, theatre. The conversation went everywhere, just like the old days.

At the end of the evening, she gave me a big farewell hug, looked me in the eye and said with all sincerity, "I so enjoyed your evocative Hor Fun".

Evocative Hor Fun? Example of usage : "Those bell-bottomed pants are evocative of bad 70s fashion". Evocative Hor Fun? Can Hor Fun be, of all things, evocative?

I looked at my childhood friend. I don't know when I will next see her. I recall shared memories. And I thought, "It's all alright." I knew what she meant...

6 comments:

Suzie Wong said...

I know what is 'PROVOCATIVE! Never heard of 'Evocative'....Heehee

wildgoose said...

Interesting use of word. But ya, food does bring back memories. Especially good food. :)

sinlady said...

I was just testing my own understanding of the English language:)

Anonymous said...

Ya lor, what is "evocative"????
I find that good, like songs, fragrance hv the ability to immediately transport u to another era.

sinlady said...

looks like everybody is taking vocabulary test LOL

Anonymous said...

Got "evoke" right? But "evocative"??? Cheem!